27.4.10

This is Just to Say (take II)



This is Just to Say

Dear Mum,
This is just to say I forgive you for eating all the plums, the apples, the pears and even drinking the last of the orange juice
I forgive you for emptying dad’s bank account
And for painting stars on our station wagon
Right before you got in and drove away
I forgive you for leaving us without even saying good bye
Your plans were always so sweet so delicious
And so cold


This poem by Heather O'Neill was featured on a This American Life radio show that featured commentary and analysis. I love her version. I find it so raw and beautiful. It's even more moving when you hear her reading it on the the show.

The poem I posted yesterday by William Carlos Williams is the original (an actual note he left for his wife).

photo via the internet

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails